Microsoft Office, the globally used productivity suite needs no introduction. This whole package of applications, servers, and services, MS Office offers different plans for Windows, Mac, and mobile phone users. You can either go for Office trial version, which is free for 30-days but includes limited features or chooses a paid version, which comes up with all the advanced features.
Like any other software, Microsoft Office should also be updated in order to make the most of the latest updates that bring in new features in the productivity suite.
Before listing out the process for the same here, I would like to mention the difference between upgrade and update. Upgrade means when you switch to the higher version of the software or in other words when you replace the software with a superior version. For instance, you upgrade the Office productivity suite when you switch from Office 2016 to Office 365 through office.com/setup.
On the contrary, updating the software means when you modify your current software with the new changes and features available in the update center. To update and upgrade Microsoft Office, follow the below mentioned process:
- Go to the Control Panel from the Start Menu
- Under All Programs or Programs and Features, find Microsoft Office
- Uninstall this version by right-clicking on it
- Wait till the process finishes!
Once uninstalled the installed Office, you can switch to a higher Office suite. The un-installation is mandatory to avoid the software conflict as well as other errors. Now, install the new, i.e. the higher Office version by following these instructions:
- Go to office.com/setup to download and then install your purchased Office suite
- Follow the on-screen instructions
- Wait till the installation completes
- Activate the new Office product by redeeming the product key from office.com/myaccount or your registered email ID
- Visit the Microsoft update center
- Check for new updates for the installed Office version
- Click Update, if available
- Skip if it shows that your installed Office product is up-to-date!
You can also update your productivity suite by clicking the update notification that keeps on popping out while you work on any Office application. For further queries, visit the contact us section at the official website of MS Office.